29 mar. 2011

The freakshow

A while ago I decided not to watch TV anymore...just some sort of detox I felt my mind needed...away from the load of bull and nonsense they tend to present as "news" nowadays.
However, today I got home at such a reasonable hour I decided to turn on my TV (at first for the background noise while cooking and afterwards actually sat down and watched the "circus" as I stupidly enough thought will update me on the current issues going on in the country) - a decision I so deeply regret.
I basically know everything that happens in the lives of our so-called "public figures" (ha ha) and also realised they have not finished yet debating a topic I heard on TV during my Xmas holidays...and suddenly it striked me: there is nothing left to lose in this country as we definetely and for good lost everything valuable there was. It sounds so radical but sadly enough so very true. And then I got to thinking about what I know from practice: the people I met and continue to meet...the people I really admire...the people that are really capable of making a statement that will leave their audience speachless. My colleagues from the university (whose blogs and articles I read as often as I get the chance) whom I consider to be really something, the teachers and the professors that guided our steps and I got to wonder: when will these insignificant tasteless muppets on the TV screen go behind the curtains (I assume they can still steal from there but in a more quiet manner - that would be so admirable from their part) and make space for those that are actually capable of bearing the names of leaders?
I mean, most of us have jobs, pay our taxes and what's more frustrating, there are so many students I know that pay for their studies (scholarships in Romania??? c'mon, overrated; study loans? - now don't make me laugh) and what do we get instead? UNEMPLOYMENT - at the end of the tunnel there's not even light - it's quite dark and dusty (we need to wait for the respectable politicians to make a decision - but why hurry? when the Romanian citizens are desperate going out in the streets and initiating protests....let's be honest...where's the rush for the big belly political snobs?)  They need to decide who is going to be "fetched" with our money, with our taxes...who's next in line to die in a hospital while they're booking flights to exotic islands (conferences they say - I say "do we have the stupid look on?"), ride vehicles that not even the most snobbish men in Switzerland use, but hey, they need to show who's in charge.
And no, in Romania there are no money to support education, public health, infrastructure, tourism, agriculture nor industry...they wait for someone to come to the rescue...not that they care about the people too much but simply because the country needs more financial resources...my grandma always used to say: "when you're spending the money you saved, make sure you keep an eye on the last penny....because that will be the one that matters when it will all be over" - so, yeah, we're waiting - for another aid they will wisely (lately they didn't even bother to disguise their actions) shove into their own pockets. Why wonder? when the very president of the country allowed for his daughter to represent us within the very European Parliament - oh yeah, we need to believe she really struggled to get in that kind of position...until we all hear her talk :))) and that's when the story starts to get really funny....
Why study so much in Romania when all you need to have is a college degree or something...it doesn't really matter what are the means you use to satisfy your thirst of power and wealth...acquiantances, good looks, extortion, bribe...I mean you can be brainless...you just need to be a "well-educated(or not) illeterate" and snob - that will do. Oh yeah, and you need to buy a very expensive car (people MUST SEE you're leading a luxurious life) and if you're a "lady" a Prada bag and for the "misters" (a really expensive, maybe unique Rolex or Cartier...just a souvenir...).
At this point there's no wonder I started calling the young generations (a certain disclaimer here however) the "acuna matatta" generation...they play computer games like crazy or are masters of the hidden secrets the social networks hide...however when you get to ask them "what's the most recent book you read?" a deep silence will follow...unless Red Riding Hood counts :) And I undertsand them perfectly...who is left in schools for them? when teachers cannot aford to make a living with the money they "pay" them...the gap between generations is so big it can really be frightening sometimes...and that's when the real value of this country is lost...but there's no shame...no shame as all values and principles have been slowly lost, burried somewhere deep within their dirty conscience.
I really admire my colleagues that graduated the Translation Master Program or the Interpreting one...I know they're really good, brilliant, hard working and intelligent people...and they'll be interpreting/translating for this bunch of illiterates...I mean, if I were to have a vote I'd definetely shout from the bottom of my lungs "For the love of God! get off those chairs and do not insult the work these people actually do behind those microphones!" Go feed your sheep, your horses, whatever you have in your barn, and let the real white collars of the country have a say...as you my dear "politicians" have no freackin' idea what you're talking about!
The question remains, however: while the Romanian political system is basically in the toilett, when will that "hero" (who's supposed to flush them down the toillet) come? Will we really sell all our brains and intelligence to Microsoft/Google and go abroad to have the chance to offer our kids a future? If we don't flush any time soon, I really think the best solution is to sell.....